Saturday, April 9, 2011

Homestay is Over

Yesterday homestay ended.  We had a huge farewell day and all for villages (Khankomba, Komako, Konkera, and Mbozi) came to our village.  We had displays with all the things we have done, jam making, peanut butter, permagardening, composting etc. There were a lot of speeches and then we to share an aspect of American culture so we had a baseball game. 

Granted the ball was a wiffle ball with tape on the outside for weight, and the bat was the handle for a hoe, but it worked out really well.  We staged a fight with the referee and our coach, second base was thrown around and coach was ejected from the game, dirt was kicked on shoes, it was great! 

Then the gule wankulu (I think I probably spelled that wrong) showed up.  I would post a video but it would take forever to load.  Basically people with masks and costumes come out and dance.  I get more details on the dances later, so more to come on that.

Currently I am in Lilongew at Peace Corps headquarters en route to Nkhotakota, the nearest city to my new village.  I am going to be in a village called Mbewa in Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve where we have big ants, green mambas, and sleeping sickness.......but I am close to the lake! Yay! I think SCUBA diving makes up for all that.  I love you all and will get you more details on my site in a week or two!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mary!
    Long time no hear! I miss you so much and hope you are really enjoying your new home! I've read your blogs and the eel one made me laugh so hard! Graduation is coming up in a week I am so excited, but I still haven't been accepted to grad school yet so I'm going to work for about 6 months, re-take my GRE and LSAT tests and re-apply for school. Hopefully, all works out :) Hope I getting HUGE only 6 and 1/2 months old 50lbs! She never leaves Cole alone, poor guy :( Anyway, miss and love you!
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete