Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Packing lists, among other disasters

Packing is a pain, packing for two years is like moving, and packing for two years for a foreign country has never been done before (not in this house anyway). Trying to figure out what to buy and whom to buy it from instills in me a sense of impending doom.  I only have 6 more weeks to get all of this hashed out! I do have some things, I will say that.  A couple journals, nalgenes, a money belt, hand crank flashlight and a few other odds and ends.  Mostly though, I think my pile is lacking.  The last time I packed a lot of stuff was for a 10 day backpacking trip, and I thought that was a challenge!

I still don't know how I am going to get it all over there either.  For those of you who don't know, packing is going to be like a bizzar game of tetris.  Everything has to fit in two checked bags and one carry on.  The two checked bags cannot have combined length, width, and depth of over 107" and cannot weigh over 80 lbs and no one bag can weight over 50 lbs.  To make matters worse...I was never very good at tetris. 

I have my 75L Venus backpack by REI which I am planning on bringing but otherwise I don't really know.  Possibly a duffle maybe a suitcase of some form.  I think I'm more worried about the weight requirement.  From past experiences electronics weigh a lot so I am going to try and bring them with me in my carry on bag.  Stuff like my netbook, ipod, solar charger, adapters etc are expensive and I don't want them to get crushed.  If I can keep more heavy stuff with me then I can fit more lightweight stuff in the other bags, I hope. 

I wish there was someone else in Colorado going to Malawi, I need someone to bounce ideas off of.     

2 comments:

  1. Hey I don't know you, but Im going to Malawi and I am from Denver. Do you leave Feb 24th? That is my departure date. I don't know if I can help much with the packing, because I feel the exact same way. Let me know if you want to meet up. My email is hanse20m@gmail.com and my number is 303-241-4736

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ladies, my name is Cassie and I will be headed to Malawi with you on the 24th! I'm so excited and I can't wait to begin our new adventure and meet everyone!

    ReplyDelete