Monday, February 14, 2011

Elves and Farewells

You know the story about the shoemaker and the elves? He can't finish the shoes so the elves come in at night and do it. I have a similar problem with a different twist. I can't organize all my Malawi gear without the elves wreking it. My elves are destructive.

When I first started buying things for Malawi everything was simply contained to two boxes. Nothing was spreading out or cluttering up the rest of my living space. As time has gone on I have obtained more and more things for the boxes, and because only so many things can occupy the same space at the same time, I was forced to spread out. I think this is what attracted the elves. As the boxes were abandoned, I had a few well organized piles. One was for things that were definitely going, another for electronics, one for clothes, etc. and this seemed to work.

Gradually, almost imperceptivly, things started to shift. Piles had been moving and spreading out, invading the surrounding spaces of other piles. War crimes were being committed, the bed sheets had taken the socks hostage and would only release them if the water bottles promised not to harm the solar charger. Why exactly the sheets and solar charger had a treaty, I have no idea. In fact, none of it made sense. I couldn't explain how everything was becoming so disorganized, there could only be one logical explaination...elves.

They were sneaking in and making eveything a mess. Mom suggested it was my lack of organization skills. Shows what she knows, she put a table in my room for everything to go on. The elves saw this as a challenge and, as a result, the mess is now a couple feet up in the air. So far, all attempts to stop them have met with failure. My final option is to coat the legs of the table with, either, glue or vasaline. Then again, elves are supposed to be good, maybe I am dealing with Gremlins. Regardless, my only hope of escape is to pack it all and leave the country. 9 Days to go.

On a different note, over the last month or so I have been going about the business of saying goodbye to many people. It's weird saying goodbye and you really haven't left yet. It seems like goodbyes should always be said in an airport or parking lot, right before someone leaves. Otherwise it feels like you really aren't going anywhere. For instance, you know you aren't going to see someone from now until you leave in 2 weeks. Your only option is to say your farewells for 2 years..and then you drive 20 minutes home. Kinda anti-climatic, or like you don't mean it. I didn't realize that there are still people who don't know I am leaving. That is alway interesting, you have to fill them in and say bye all at once.  If you happen to be one of those people, I am really sorry! I'm also getting everythying together for my horse, Lance, so mom and dad know what to do and who to call. It feels like I am handing over the keys to my car. I have never been more than a few hours from him since he was 2 and he is almost 8 now. I am gonna miss him. Otherwise things are running smoothly, I'm still waiting for a few things to get here but it's almost time for wheels up!

2 comments:

  1. What to do with those elves! I think they are here as well. My moms living room looks crazy and my piles are slowly getting messier. Do you think you have everything? I know I don't right now. What kind of solar charger did you get? I guess we will get it done sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassie! I don't think I will ever have everything. I have Sunlinq solar panels and we bought various adapters to plug in the computer iPod, etc. I think dad got it off of Ebay.

    Looking forward to seeing you in a week!

    ReplyDelete